Just follow the steps below to seamlessly import Excel files to Redbooth.
Import Excel Files to Redbooth
- Open the Microsoft Excel (.xlsx) or Google Sheets file which contains the data you would like to import into Redbooth. Currently, Redbooth only supports .xlsx format so if your file is in .xls (old format), please follow the instructions at the bottom of the page to learn how to convert your file into .xlsx format.
- Format your file to match the Redbooth template. You can either download the Redbooth template (which is already in .xlsx format) and add your data to the template, or manually modify the header row in your current .xlsx file to match the header rows to the Redbooth template.
- Upload the .xlsx file to Redbooth by clicking the Import button in your workspace and following the steps on the import modal.
Once you upload the file, a sneak preview will be shown with a first few rows of data that we were able to read from the file. This preview accurately represents how the data will be processed and imported to Redbooth.
Approve the preview and data will be imported into Redbooth.
If you do not think the preview is accurate, go back and edit your file to match the Redbooth template for accurate results.
*It is important that the file you are about to import into Redbooth matches the template we have provided.
Formatting your .xlsx file to match Redbooth
Task List: Accepts name of the task list under which you would like to create the task. If you are new to Project Management software, refer to the Redbooth Template to better understand task lists. If left empty, tasks will be put under a default task list.
Task: Accepts name of the task or action item you would like to be created as a task in Redbooth. If left empty, we name the task as [No name], and once your import is successful, you can change the name to something relevant.
Description (optional): Accepts description for the task. Use this space to add more details about the task.
Assignee (optional): Accepts email addresses like firstname.lastname@example.org. The following rules are applied when determining assignment:
- If the email / user already exists in the Redbooth project, the task is assigned to the user.
- If the email / user exists in the Redbooth organization, the user will be invited to the project and the task is assigned to the user. An email will be sent to the user inviting them to the project.
- If the email / user doesn’t exist in Redbooth, the user will be invited to the organization.
- If your organization hits seat limit when trying to invite new users, we simply ignore the assignment. Once you import successfully, please add extra seats to your subscription and assign the tasks to new users.
- You can assign to multiple users by entering their email addresses into the assignee column. The first email address entered signifies the principal assignee.
Due Date (optional): Accepts date in mm/dd/yyyy format. If the value is blank or non-date format, the value is ignored and the task is created with no due date.
If you opened an Excel 97-2003 workbook (.xls) but don’t need to keep it in that file format, simply convert it to the current file format (.xlsx).
- Click file > Info.
- Click Convert.